East River Chair
Hella Jongerius, 2014
- Seat shell: laminated.
- Upholstery: polyurethane foam with fabric and leather cover.
- Cover: Premium Leather and various fabrics (Laser, Hopsak, Plano) in coordinated colour combinations.
- Seat height: 400 mm (330 mm with applied load, measured in accordance with EN 1335-1).
- Base: legs in natural oak with steel cross braces powder-coated in ivory or dark oak legs with braces powder-coated in coffee.
- Glides: fitted with plastic glides for carpet, felt glides for hard floors additionally included.
- Origin of wood: oak (Quercus robur) from Western Europe and/or Poland.
East River Chair
Products designed by Hella Jongerius demonstrate a unique blend of industry and craft, high and low-tech, traditional and modern – characteristics which are also evident in the East River Chair: with its distinctive form and casual combination of such diverse materials as wood, metal, leather and fabric, this small armchair clearly bears the Dutch designer's signature. The colours of the East River Chair are carefully coordinated. Each colour combination gives the chair a very different look, ranging from muted and calm to cheerful and bright. The selected colours and materials have more than just an aesthetic purpose: the leather covers protect the armrests from dirt and wear and the thicker padding of the seat cushion extends into the backrest, offering comfortable lumbar support. In 2013, Hella Jongerius and Vitra collaborated on the design of a chair for the North Delegates Lounge at the UN headquarters in New York. This model served as a basis for the development of the East River Chair.
The Dutch designer Hella Jongerius lives and works in Berlin. She founded the Jongeriuslab studio in 1993 and began collaborating with Vitra in 2004. Since then, she has not only contributed a substantial number of designs to the continually expanding Vitra Home Collection, but has also applied her expertise in the realm of colours and materials to the Vitra Colour & Material Library.