Eames Storage Unit ESU, Bookcase
Charles & Ray Eames, 1949
The ESU Bookcase is four units high. Fitted with drawers and sliding doors, it provides plenty of practical storage space.
- Metal surfaces: black powder-coated finish.
- Shelves: maple plywood with birch face veneer (Poland and Finland), transparent lacquer finish.
- Panels: powder-coated aluminium.
- Legs: individual levelling adjustment.
- Applications: recommended for home use only.
- Sliding doors: moulded plywood lacquered
Eames Storage Unit ESU
In 1949, Charles and Ray Eames developed an innovative system of freestanding, multifunctional shelves and desks. Similar to the simultaneously constructed Eames House, these designs adhered to the principles of industrial production: the Eames Storage Unit (ESU) and the Eames Desk Unit (EDU). In collaboration with the Eames Office and Dutch designer Hella Jongerius, a carefully defined new colour scheme was chosen to give the ESU and EDU a fresh and contemporary look while still celebrating the spirit of the 1940s and '50s. The wider ESU Shelf is available in various heights, from a sideboard to a tall bookshelf. The ESU Bookcase is somewhat narrower and fitted with drawers and sliding doors to provide practical storage options.
COPYRIGHT ©2022 VITRA INTERNATIONAL AG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVEDCookie Settings