Wire Chair DKW
Charles & Ray Eames, 1951
The Wire Chairs by Charles and Ray Eames owe their transparent look to the spot-welded steel wire shell, while the wooden base of the DKW (Dining Chair K-Wire Wood Base) lends a contrasting note of warmth to the essentially technical appearance of the design. The Wire Chairs by Charles and Ray Eames owe their transparent look to the spot-welded steel wire shell, while the wooden base of the DKW (Dining Chair K-Wire Wood Base) lends a contrasting note of warmth to the essentially technical appearance of the design.
from 580.00 EUR
Seat (Wire Chair DKW)
Leather/back panel Plano
21/19 dim grey/sierra grey
67/69 asphalt/dark grey
70/72 red/poppy red
Leather/back panel Leather
Leather Premium/back panel PlanoMore colors
64/05 cement/ cream white/sierra grey
65/19 granite/sierra grey
60/69 smoke blue/dark grey
59/40 jade/ coconut/forest
58/40 khaki/ coconut/forest
61/69 umbra grey/dark grey
67/69 asphalt/dark grey
Leather Premium/back panel Leather Premium
- Upholstery: unupholstered, with seat cushion or with seat and back pad. Seat and back pads can be removed and reattached; available in Hopsak fabric or leather.
- DKW: Dining Height K-Wire Shell Wood-Base
- Seat shell: bent and welded steel wire, powder-coated in basic dark.
- Base: solid maple with stained finish, steel rod cross struts. Fitted with plastic glides for carpet; felt glides for hard floors optionally available.
- Origin of wood: maple (Acer platanoides) from Western Europe and/or Poland.
Designed by Charles and Ray Eames out of welded steel wire, the Wire Chair is a variation on the theme of the organically shaped one-piece seat shell, pairing transparent lightness with technological sophistication. The wire shell can be joined with a variety of different bases and is offered without upholstery, with a seat cushion, or with a two-piece seat and back cushion known as the ‘Bikini’ pad due to its shape. The Wire Chairs have a powder-coated finish; some models are also available in a chrome-plated version. DKR and DKX models with a powder-coated finish are suited for both indoor and outdoor use. In 2016, Vitra added roughly 20 mm to the base height of the Wire Chairs while adapting the seat geometry accordingly. These revisions, which are aesthetically almost imperceptible, increase the comfort of this classic chair design, especially in combination with contemporary tables.
COPYRIGHT ©2022 VITRA INTERNATIONAL AG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVEDCookie Settings