Norman Foster, 1998
As a renowned architect of major international airports, Norman Foster is also an expert on their interior design. Vitra therefore sought his collaboration for the development of the AIRLINE seating system for waiting areas. AIRLINE can be easily assembled with a single wrench and reconfigured as needed. The system is flexible, extremely robust and easy to clean. The understated, sleek design ensures stylistic longevity.
Base and armrests
- Seat and backrest elements available in four versions: moulded maple plywood (clear lacquer finish); perforated steel; steel with padding (black vinyl cover); polyurethane integral skin foam (robust seat shell with upholstered effect, cantilevered on steel frame).
- Armrests: die-cast aluminium, silver-colour coating.
- Table units: black solid core material.
- Base: triangular aluminium profile as the loadbearing element, anodised in silver-grey; die-cast aluminium legs, silver-colour coating; plastic glides for carpet.
- Optional: side table with a top made of black solid core material.
As a renowned architect of major international airports, Norman Foster is also an expert on airport interior design. The AIRLINE seating system for waiting areas was developed by Foster in collaboration with Vitra. The basic idea: a sturdy frame consisting of an aluminium beam supported by die-cast aluminium legs, upon which seat elements, armrests and table units are mounted. AIRLINE allows an economical and flexible use of space. The system is extremely robust and easy to clean. Assembly is simple – requiring just a single wrench – which also makes it easy to reconfigure as needed. The design is restrained and sleek, pairing the superior durability of its construction with stylistic longevity.
This product was designed by
The architect Norman Foster is not only an airport specialist, but also an expert with regard to the interior design and equipment of international airport buildings. Together with Vitra, he developed the Airline seating system for waiting areas.
COPYRIGHT ©2022 VITRA INTERNATIONAL AG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVEDCookie Settings