Charles & Ray Eames, 1956
The Lounge Chair by Charles and Ray Eames is one of the great furniture designs of the twentieth century. Offering ultimate comfort, this elegant chair has been produced by Vitra since the 1950s using virtually the same production techniques and high-quality materials. The Lounge Chair comes in two sizes and various combinations of leather upholstery covers, wooden shells and bases.
from £ 5,115.00
Seat and back shells (American cherry)
Base (American cherry)
Seat and back shells (black ash)
Base (black ash)
Seat and back shells (black-pigmented walnut)
Base (black-pigmented walnut)
Leather Premium F (white-pigmented walnut)
Seat and back shells (white-pigmented walnut)
Base (white-pigmented walnut)
Seat and back shells (Santos palisander)
Base (Santos palisander)
- Seat and back: moulded plywood, different face veneers. Classic version in American cherry (USA), santos palisander (Bolivia; certified sustainability) or black-pigmented walnut (USA). White version: white-pigmented walnut (USA). Black version: ash with a black lacquer finish (Germany).
- Upholstery/Cover: removable cushion units, covers in leather.
- Seat height: 380 mm (250 mm with applied load, measured in accordance with EN 1335-1:2000).
- Armrests: attached to the seat and back shells with shock mounts (bonded rubber and metal connectors).
- Base: five-star swivel base and back braces in die-cast aluminium. Black sides with polished aluminium edges, all-aluminium with polished finish or all-chrome version.
- Glides: all bases fitted with hard glides for carpet, felt glides optionally available for hard floors.
'Why don't we make an updated version of the old English club chair?' With this comment, Charles Eames initiated the development of the Lounge Chair, a process that took several years. The aim was to satisfy the desire for an amply proportioned chair that combined ultimate comfort with the highest quality materials and craftsmanship. The armchair designed by Charles and Ray Eames in 1956 set new standards: it is not only lighter, more elegant and more modern than the conventionally ponderous club chair – it is also more comfortable. Thanks to these qualities, the Lounge Chair became one of the most famous designs by Charles and Ray Eames and has attained the status of a classic in the history of modern furniture. The Lounge Chair is available from Vitra in two sizes: with classic dimensions and with new, larger dimensions. Furthermore, the various combinations of leather upholstery covers, wooden shells and bases are now complemented by a white edition and a black edition with corresponding details. Since the Lounge Chair first went into production, average human height has increased worldwide by nearly 10 cm. In close coordination with the Eames Office, Vitra developed the new larger version so that taller people, too, can enjoy the same exceptional comfort that Charles and Ray Eames intended with their original 1956 design.
COPYRIGHT ©2022 VITRA INTERNATIONAL AG. ALL RIGHTS RESERVEDCookie Settings