Wire Chair DKR
Charles & Ray Eames, 1951
- Upholstery: unupholstered, with seat cushion or with seat and back pad. Seat and back pads can be removed and reattached; available in Hopsak fabric or leather. For the back pad in leather, the rear is always covered in Plano fabric, except for the version in leather snow, which is used on both the front and back.
- DKR: Dining Height K-Wire Shell Rod Base
- Seat shell: bent and welded steel wire, chrome-plated or powder-coated.
- Base: four-legged base with cross struts, surface finish matched to seat shell. Fitted with plastic glides for carpet; felt glides for hard floors optionally available.
- Outdoor use: unupholstered version with powder-coated base suitable for utilisation outdoors on a temporary or seasonal basis, following care instructions. After prolonged exposure to the elements, clean and store away in a dry, sheltered place to ensure lasting use and avoid any deterioration in appearance.
Designed by Charles and Ray Eames out of welded steel wire, the Wire Chair is a variation on the theme of the organically shaped one-piece seat shell, pairing transparent lightness with technological sophistication. The shell can be joined with a variety of different bases. The Wire Chair is available without upholstery, with a seat cushion or with a two-piece seat and back cushion known as the 'Bikini' pad due to its shape. The Wire Chairs have a powder-coated finish; some models are also available in a chrome-plated version. DKR and DKX models with a powder-coated finish are suited for both indoor and outdoor use. In 2016, Vitra added roughly 20 mm to the base height of the Wire Chairs while adapting the seat geometry accordingly. These revisions, which are aesthetically almost imperceptible, increase the comfort of this classic chair design, especially in combination with contemporary tables.
Charles & Ray Eames
Charles and Ray Eames are counted among the most important figures of twentieth-century design. Their work spans the fields of furniture design, filmmaking, photography and exhibition design. Vitra is the sole authorised manufacturer of Eames products for Europe and the Middle East. When you own an Eames product made by Vitra, you know it is an original.